Beertography has moved to squarespace! Update your bookmarks to beertography.com

August 28, 2009

Are there really only 2 brewpubs in NYC?



While thinking of a good place to found our brewpub (help us determine the name by voting in the poll to the right!), I began searching on BeerAdvocate for places in the area that are considered brewpubs. I was surprised to discover that the only ones listed are Chelsea Brewing Company (represented by the photo above) and Heartland Brewery. Chelsea is a good brewery/brewpub/restaurant that is able to boast that its the only beer actually brewed in Manhattan. Heartland Brewery is actually brewed in a facility in Brooklyn, but in general their multiple locations are tourist traps. I've never had a beer at any of them that really stood out to me.

But what is curious is that I know that there are bars that tout their own brews on tap. So shouldn't they be considered brewpubs as well? Or are they trying to keep it relatively quiet? I'm assuming most of these types of bars can't actually brew on-premises, so where is it being done? Questions, questions! I'll have to do some investigating to find out.

Speaking of investigating, this weekend I'll be traveling to one of two brewpubs in NJ (there aren't too many in Jersey either): The Ship Inn in Milford, NJ, which has some pretty good reviews on BeerAdvocate, or Trap Rock Brewery and Restaurant in Berkeley Heights. I am leaning toward The Ship Inn as Trap Rock has valet service, which is an immediate turn off. But Ship Inn is further, so we shall see. I'll document whichever adventure we go on and post the pictures here next week.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Check out www.pubquest.com for all breweries (pubs and off-site) throughout the U.S. and Canada.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Seems similar to The Beer Mapping Project: http://beermapping.com/ But still, looks good!

    ReplyDelete