Beertography has moved to squarespace! Update your bookmarks to beertography.com

November 13, 2009

Stoudt's Double IPA



Stoudt's Brewing Company is located in Adamstown, PA, and is a brewery that I've seen many many times on the shelf of my local beer store. For some reason that I can't quite pinpoint (for some reason I want to say its something I find displeasing about the font of their logo despite liking the logo in general), I've never picked up a single one of their beers. But it just so happens that in the book I'm currently reading, Red, White, and Brew: An American Beer Odyssey by Brian Yaeger, the author spends an entire chapter discussing Stoudt's brewery and family history, some of which you can read for yourself here.



So I was finally prompted to give Stoudt's a try, and what better way to start then their bottle-conditioned Double IPA. At 10% ABV, this certainly qualifies as an Imperial. What I couldn't help but think after I polished this off is that this is what a more drinkable Dogfish Head 120 Minute would taste like. Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoy the 120, but its simply not something one can enjoy any bit regularly. The Stoudt's DIPA however is perfect for a 1 or 2 12oz session. Complex, earthy, citrusy and malty. This is quite clearly a beer to be held as the definition of the style.

No comments:

Post a Comment