Beertography has moved to squarespace! Update your bookmarks to beertography.com

November 11, 2009

Flying Fish Exit 1 Bayshore Oyster Stout



I'll admit it. I was scared to try this beer. I am not a fan of anything seafood at all and I'll also admit that I picked this up at the beer store a week ago and put it back down and didn't purchase it. This time around, I bit.

Flying Fish Exit 1 Bayshore Stout is the newest in FF's Exit Series and their website describes it as such:
The third stop on our multi-year trip to explore New Jersey through its beer and culture takes us to Exit 1.

The southwest bayshore has been supplying oysters to Americans since colonial times. Until the 1950s, hundreds of millions of oysters were harvested annually. Now, thanks to efforts by many organizations, the oyster is coming back.

Oysters and stout had long been associated in the UK, but the tradition was gradually lost. Exit 1, an “export style” stout brewed with oysters, celebrates this tasty combination. The creamy flavor of English chocolate and roasted malts harmonizes with minerals from the oyster shells. Irish ale yeast adds a bit of fruitiness and a dry crispness. This rich stout is perfect for cool weather–and especially delicious when paired with a few Jersey oysters on the half shell.

Learn more about oyster restoration near Exit 1: DelawareEstuary.org.

Beer brewed with oysters.
Alcohol 7.5% by Vol.

So despite my reservations about seafood tastes, I tried it and I am happy to report there is only the slightest hint of the sea in this beer. It actually makes me want to try seafood, so I consider it quite the success.

Definitely seek it out, as it is limited. And in case you missed it, scroll down a few posts and watch the very interesting making-of video of Exit 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment